Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Project Exploring the Internet: Day 32

I'm already a whole month into the challenge and I haven't missed a day yet.... It's a miracle!

LOL

Cue APPLAUSE

:)

Anyone got any favorite posts yet?

Find anything new that you like?

Thanksgiving is coming up in a HURRY!

Are you doing your Thanksgiving crafts yet?

I found a cool paper cup turkey craft online.

How about some clip art for your blog?



I suggest you do a Thanksgiving meal out of all Native American foods.... you know, foods from the Americas eaten and developed by Native people.

Oh.... I heard you ask, "What foods are from the Americas?"

Yep, I really heard you.

LOL

The internet is full of Native food recipes. I'll sprinkle some links throughout this entry.

Well, it will be easier than you think. TURKEY is from the Americas.

Meat you might use:

Turkey - Traditional and Thanksgiving should NEVER be allowed to happen without turkey.

Buffalo - If your local grocery store has it.... Wouldn't it be cool? You might be able to order it online as well, I'm not sure. I'm not saying as a substitute for the turkey but as another option on the side. Maybe you could mix small chunks with some wild rice.... Wouldn't it be cool to say we had buffalo for Thanksgiving? (Unless you're a vegetarian.)

Deer - Don't substitute for the turkey but a side dish would be nice.

A Wild Rice dish is nice on the side.

We always like to have frybread as a side dish.



Cranberry sauce always goes with Thanksgiving. I prefer the jelly kind in the can but cranberries are traditionally a Native food.

The potato is also a food from the Americas.

I think you also should have corn on Thanksgiving.

We don't really do much soup on Thanksgiving but sunflowers are a Native food and sunflower seed soup might peek the interest of any guests you have over.

:)

Other Native Foods and recipes:
Squash, Blueberry Wojapi, Cranberry Bread, Swamp Tea, Inca Potato Salad

I thought I'd throw in this Native American Food Pyramid just because I found it interesting.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.

4 comments:

Connie said...

*Clapping hands* :)

Congrats on sticking with this project, Jody. I only pop in to comment once in a while, but I've been reading.

I like this post. You offer some interesting new ideas to think about for Thanksgiving. Thanks for researching all those links. It takes a while to put together a post like this. You're doing a great job.

Jody said...

Thanks Daisy.

:)

Jen said...

I'm going to try the turkey;
The craft idea-lol.
The other one is a no brainer for me. ;)
Keep up the good work here.

Jody said...

Thanks Jen.

I'm having fun with it.

:)