Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Project Exploring the Internet: Day 10

Have you ever heard someone say something like OMG instead of Oh My God?

I understand OMG but people use all kinds of letters and numbers that I don't because I don't text. So when I came across Net Lingo today, I was happy.

I think every parent should probably learn these. This site reports that, "95% of parents don't recognize the lingo kids use to let people know that their parents are watching" and that, "89% of sexual solicitations are made in either chat rooms or Instant Messages."

Those are some scary numbers eh.

Some examples:
420 - marijuana
831 - I love you
AITR - adult in the room
182 - I hate you
KPC - keeping parents clueless
PAL - parents are listening
WYRN - what's your real name

I really don't use any of these but I do overuse the simple LOL a lot, many do but you know you're on the internet too long when you actually say the letters L-O-L instead of laughing. Yes, I've heard people do it.

LOL

The other thing I like about this site is the Smiley's page. It tells you how to make all kinds of smiley's.

@>--;-- for a rose.

*<|:-) for Santa Claus.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to be told by my husband what WTF meant...so here's to your site. Great concept.

Thanks for your your comment on my blog, glad you're enjoying my tale.

Helena

Allison said...

OMG BTW LOL! That's about the extent of my abbreviations. I feel so old because I'm not up on the lingo. This site will definitely help me not feel like a senior citizen (okay I'm not that out of touch yet!)! Thanks!

مى said...

OMG ILY!
This is cool! And you're a teacher, I think I realized I want to become a teacher like two weeks ago. Your blog is cool.

TTYL.

Stephanie Faris said...

Why is 420 marijuana? Someone told me something about the time of day once...but now I can't remember the story.

Jody said...

Hey Steph, if you click on it, it will say why it is. I think they gave about 3 or 4 reasons why it is. They all seem valid. I think I remember that one of them is that 4/20 or April 20th is Bob Marley's birthday.

artifexnm said...

Very helpful...thanks for doing the research.

It's so much fun to blog.
Don't forget my India Travelblog:

http://pattybcoffman.blogspot.com/