Sunday, October 18, 2009

Project Exploring the Internet: Day 15

I really wanted to share this cool game/online world called Second Life with y'all.



I've never even heard of it before I started going there a little over a year ago. How does that happen?

You see, that's EXACTLY why I started this Blog.

When I logged in and finally started playing it, I noticed that there were over 50,000 people in the online virtual world. Unbelievable. I later found out that there were 1.5 million people that knew about it and I had no idea. I heard in a news report that over 6 million people have played it. I thought that number was a little high but it's not just Americans and Canadians playing it. People from countries all over play it. The online world has translators that translate your typing into the language of the user so it is really possible to communicate with anyone there.

Second Life is so cool. It's like a virtual chat room. Why do people even go to regular chat rooms anymore? And in Secondlife, you don't have all of the spammers like a Yahoo chat room does. Secondlife is basically a chat room where you have a 3D Avatar/character that you can make look like whatever you want.

I made my Avatar look a lot like myself. Most of the people on there make their Avatars look like supermodels but not everyone. You can be Robin Hood, Elvis, a midget, or just about anyone you want. I think most actually just make themselves regular people.

In Second Life, one can meet someone and even go on dates LOL. I'm married, I can't really do that, but I'm just saying.... Why would one even go to a dating site? You can go to Secondlife and meet all kinds of people and find out what their personality is like before you go any further.

Where can you go on dates to in Second Life? There are bars, concerts, and there are even CHURCHES. Yes, there are REAL churches in Second Life people go watch a real life video feed on Sundays.



There are also other spiritual sites to go to!

There are beautiful gardens and beaches to go to. In Second Life, one can go to just about any place one can in real life.

They actually have EDUCATIONAL sites on Secondlife. They have libraries and other places where you can go learn. One of the first educational places I went to was an ocean site where they teach you about ocean fish. I was also once in an old Egyption tomb learning about old Pharoahs and such.

Through Second Life, there are also news casts and group discussions. They can get very interesting. Here are some examples, check these out:





I've met some really nice people on Second Life. I find that when you get away from the crowd and meet someone 1 on 1 away from everyone else, it works out better. Some places can be full of cliques of regulars. Some people even give you things such as different clothing items and such. Someone even gave me some dance moves. LOL! I wish they could do that in real life.

:)

There is also LIVE music there! YES! Real musicians go in their studios and play/sing LIVE over Second Life. It's a way for them to get their names and music out there.

Here is a concert given live on Second Life by Suzen Juel:



Second Life Youtube Videos
EDUCATIONAL:
Second Life in Education, Educational Uses in Second Life, Ohio University in Second Life, Murdoch University in Second Life

Real Life Newscasts Report on Second Life:
CNN in Second Life, Second Life on BBC News, NBC News on Second Life

Music in Second Life:
Irene Grandi Concert, Grace Cylindrian - Float Away, Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner, Lyn Carlberg

3 comments:

Allison said...

I remember watching a True Life about shy people...this one girl would only play her music on Second Life and not live, that's where I first heard about it. I think it sounds like fun, but like you said, I'm sure it's full of cliques and people who are on all the time. I have my hands full with just blogging but may just have to check it out!

Jody said...

Hey Tater. I guess there are some cliques in some places but it's not that bad. Some places there are so many people to talk with, it doesn't matter that there are 10in a corner only talking to each other. There are 30 others to chat with. Then in other places, there is good music to listen to, and nobody is there. LOL. At places where they hold discussions, everyone is encouraged to speak. Those can be fun. And there is always a moderator to kick out someone who isn't acting appropriately. You should check it out, but don't get too addicted to it. LOL. It is addicting.

Connie said...

I have heard of this site but I've never visited it. A friend of mine spent a great deal of time on it. I already have my hands full with my real life, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would enjoy this.