Thursday, October 8, 2009

Project Exploring the Internet: Day 5

The great winterization procrastination is continuing. I still haven't fixed the windows for winter time yet and there's a good chance of snow this weekend. I have to give the lawn one last mow also, find the shovels, fix the dog house....

And here I am blogging.

LOL

:)

(And yes, I am a big time abuser of "LOL" and the smiley.)

Ok, so to today I decided to discover zoo's online.

The San Diego Zoo is probably one of the worlds most popular zoos. The zoo’s online site is just as amazing.

Click on Animal Zones and a map of the zoo will come up. On that map there are links to information and videos on many of the animals at the zoo:
Giraffe, Wallaby, Koala, Camel, Lynx, Snow Leopard, Cougar, Jaguar, Elephants, Lion Tailed Macaque, Sun Bear are just a few examples.

The Minnesota Zoo is the zoo I grew up with. I never realized they were online with live web cams.

Live Cams:
Dolphin, Gibbon, Beaver, Macaque

The animals do not have artificial light so you can only see them when it is sunny out in MN. If you right click it, then click on "zoom" and then "full screen," you can see better. Waaby (my 3 year old) likes the full screen view.

I wish they had more live cams but I'm grateful for what they do have.

The MN Zoo also has very informative animal pages. When you go to these pages, be sure to click on “Fun Facts,” “Behind the Scenes,” “Detailed Info” or the other options they have for each animal. These are just a few examples:
Beaver, Bald Eagle, Coyote, Fisher, Lynx, Turtle, Frog and Snake, Porcupine, Cougar, Wolf

If you have older children that have to do reports for English class, those are some really useful pages.

The Smithsonian National Zoological Park has taken webcams to a whole new level.

The National Zoo web cams:
Cheetah Cam, Otter Cam, Amazon Fish Cam, Leopard Cam, Leopard Cub Cam, Ferret Cam, Lion Cam, Tiger Cam, Octopus Cam, Fishing Cat Cam, Pink Flamingo Cam, Golden Lion Tamarin Cam, Gorilla Cam, Kiwi Cam, Orangutan Cam, Panda Cam, Sloth Bear Cam

The Indianapolis Zoo animal cams:
Walrus Cam, Sea Lion Cam, Penguin Cam

The Indy Zoo cams aren't that great. You have to download an add-on (which I did and it seems safe) and you can't enlarge the cam view to full screen. There were animals on the cams though when I viewed them.

Other Online Animal Cams:
Ferretcam.org has a live stream of ferrets.
Saddlebrook has a live cam of horses.
Gatorland has a live cam of aligators.

It's nice that Waaby can kinda have a zoo experience right at home any day. One thing you have to remember about the live cams is to be patient. Sometimes the animals are out of view. Other times they aren't in their cages because the cages are being cleaned. I like watching the workers and the people watching the animals sometimes just as much as the animals. I don't think some of them know they are on the cam.

"HEY KID, DON'T PICK YOUR NOSE! YOU'RE BEING BROADCASTED!"

:)

Other Zoo's Online:
Denver Zoo, Phoenix Zoo, Cincinatti Zoo, Pittsburgh Zoo

FREEBIE OF THE DAY: Free OMG GOP STICKER

7 comments:

~mel said...

Hey Jody ... thanks for stoppin' by my blog. I love exploring new sites every day too. I'm becoming a follower of your blog ~ so keep me interested ~ lol ~ I'm an over abuser of the lol too.

Minerva said...

We go to the National Zoo a lot. My husband grew up outside of D.C., and does not understand why all zoos are not free(Nat'l one is part of Smithsonian, which is free) Glad to see the web cams are good there. If you ever get to go there, you should. It's a great zoo! Waaby would love it.

Jody said...

Thanks Mel and Margaret.

:)

Connie said...

Jody, I am a big abuser of the smiley face too, but I don't plan to stop any time soon. :D

Great links for the zoos. I love animals and watching them, so when I can't go see them in person, the internet is a great place to be entertained by them.

Hope you have a great weekend! :-)

Allison said...

This is such a great idea! I love to explore the internet too but don't always have the time, especially now that (okay I'm ready to admit it!) I'm a blogging addict!

Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting! I'm following you now...can't wait to see what you have in store!

Lindy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I'm curious what led you there!

If you are a fan of pandas, Zoo Atlanta has a great web cam that runs M-F 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.
http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

Happy blogging & exploring~

Jody said...

Hey Lindy, thanks for the comment.

I'm still new to the blog and really exploring around a lot. I just go all over. I might click on "Minnesota" and then look at blogs of other Minnesotan's. Then look at their friends' blogs. Then maybe I'll click on "next blog." Then look at the comments of that blog and check out the blogs of the people that commented. That takes me all over Blogger. LOL. The blogs I find interesting, I comment on.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Panda cam.

:)